Sunday, October 25, 2009

Yemenite Breakfast



My kubana, known on two continents. Kubana is an overnight bread, made for a low oven the night before the sabbath. I made my first as a surprise for my homesick wife years ago... in the wee hours of the morning, she said 'is that kubana?' My mother in law was shocked I could find a recipe on the internet. It's sort of a monkey bread, balls of dough dipped traditionally in ghee (I use margarine) and baked in a sealed container to survive 12 hours of heat.

Anyway, this one here is part of a traditional Yemenite breakfast, with hardboiled eggs, salad, and s'chug (pictured chili pepper and spice paste, ch as in 'ach') made specially for me in Israel (no cilantro, wicked hot peppers) by someone's grandmother. You can tell this breakfast is authentic by the gesture of the hand on the right, either demanding an explanation or telling someone off. Notice also my jar of srirachi, or "Chinese s'chug".

No comments:

Post a Comment