Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nearly Mieng Kham


This week's New Yorker has an article on Johnathan Gold -- the only food writer to win a Pulitzer -- ending with the owner of a Thai restaurant he put on the map thanking him with this dish Bret (nrnfoodwriter.blogspot.com) showed in Bangkok back in 98. Gold seems thrilled, but I can't see how he didn't find this one before.

Bret observed that learning this dish changed my life, and he's right. It's the Thai love for balancing flavors stripped down to bare bones, and experimenting with it taught me a lot about balancing flavors. This one is a little ersatz. I didn't have toasted unsweetened coconut, so I fried up some noodles, and used sweet onion instead of buying shallots that were four times as expensive. Palm sugar syrup to top. Good eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment